As you grow older, especially when you’re past the age of 40, you may start to experience some problems with focusing your vision. This condition, which comes naturally when people reach that’s special age, is called presbyopia and usually calls for progressive, bifocal or trifocal lenses. However sometimes if you work with computers, spend a lot of time reading, or if we have jobs or hobbies which need completely focused vision (like artists, doctors, and the like), you may need to get fitted for special occupational lenses. But exactly what are these occupational lenses and more importantly, do you actually need to get them?

What are they?

The first thing you must know is that occupational or office progressive, bifocals or trifocals aren’t typically advised for use as your everyday glasses. This is because traditional daily-use multifocals, sometimes called “progressives,” gradually increase strength up to a certain point – typically towards the lower part of the lens where near vision power is. Meanwhile, occupational Progressive (a term also used for multifocals, aside from varifocals lenses and enhanced reading lenses) are designed specifically for working in a near environment but aren’t necessarily suitable for activities like driving or walking.

Which pair would you need?

If your job requires focused, close-up vision then you should ask your eye doctor about getting occupational lenses and he or she can usually figure out which specific kind you might need. That said, here’s a brief introduction on the kinds of occupational lenses you have to choose from:

  • Double-D Lenses – this type is best for car mechanics because they need perfect vision to look down under the car’s hood, or look overhead when making repairs from under the car. Electricians also benefit fromt his type of lens. Generally, people who need to focus their vision upwards or downwards a lot during work might benefit from Double-D lenses.

These glasses get their name from the two D-shaped bifocal sections found on the lenses.

  • E to D Lenses – These trifocals are typically recommended for those whose jobs have them looking at several monitors at a time, such as TV production workers, software developers, or movie editors.

Basically, E-D trifocals are optimized for distance viewing at the top, and intermediate vision at the bottom.

  • Degressive Lenses for Reading – If you spend a lot of time reading small text or looking at tiny objects at eye level or a little below eye level, for instance if you’re a pharmacist or model-maker, you may also have your traditional multifocal lenses made into occupational lenses.

Getting a pair of occupational lenses

To get yourself fitted for a pair of office progressives, or if you just need to see whether you actually need to get occupational bifocals or trifocals, you should see your optometrist for an eye exam.

If you’re in Florida, particularly in the Greenacres area (or if you’re from the nearby cities of Lantana, Boyton Beach, Wellington, or Royal Palm Springs) you can visit Dr. Hetel Bhakta of Planet Vision Eyecare. Prescribing occupational multifocal lenses are just some of Dr. Bhakta’s services. As a board-certified optometric physician with years of experience, Dr. Bhakta also offers eye health examinations, contact lens fittings, and after hours emergency eye care, among other eye health services.